Thursday, October 8, 2009

Speaking Out: Scott Fujita

Even in a city like New York, voicing our political opinions can be intimidating. In a city as liberal and forward-thinking as this, we often keep our thoughts to ourselves as not to be controversial or upset others. So imagine what courage it takes for an NFL football player on a team in the deep South to attach his name to the National Equality March, which takes place in Washington, D.C. this Sunday, but that is exactly what New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita is doing.
In a resent interview with Dave Zirin, sports correspondent for The Nation, Fujita explained exactly why a married-with-children pro-football player is speaking out for gay rights.
Zirin: Scott, you made the decision to lend your name and endorse the National Equality March. Why did you choose to do that?

Fujita: I think for me it was a cause that I truly believe in. By in large in this country the issue of gay rights and equality should be past the point of debate. Really, there should be no debate anymore. For me, in my small platform as a professional football player, I understand that my time in the spotlight is probably limited. The more times you have to lend your name to a cause you believe in, you should do that.

As an adopted child of biracial parents, Fujita's heart for gay rights centers on parenthood:

"A year ago or two years ago, I remember reading about an initiative that was proposed in the state of Arkansas. It was some kind of measure that was aimed at preventing adoptions by single parents. Now, the way I read that and the way that I translated that language was that only heterosexual, married couples could adopt children. As an adopted child that really bothered me. I asked myself, what that is really saying is that the concern with one's sexual orientation or one's sexual preference outweighs what's really important, and that's finding safe homes for children, for our children. It's also saying that we'd rather have kids bounce around from foster home to foster home throughout the course of their childhood, than end up in a permanent home, where the parent, whether that person's single or not, gay or straight. Either way, it doesn't matter. It's a home that's going to be provided for a kid who desperately needs a home. As an adopted child, that measure really bothered me. It just boggles my mind because good, loving homes for any child are the most important thing."
Like any good sport, Scott Fujita is humble about what he's doing for the rights of gay families:
"I don't think it's that courageous. I think I have an opinion, that I wish was shared by everybody."
Scott Fujita, TTT salutes your courage whether you like it or not. It takes a big man to come out in support of a controversial cause that doesn't directly involve him. Mazel! and you'll be in our hearts as the TTT editorial team participates in Sunday's march.

No comments:

Post a Comment